BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

14 July 2011

This Has Been On My Mind Lately

Commitment! I know to achieve my weight loss goals, or any goal, I have to stick with it.  But can I? I believe with God's help I can, but I also know me and there are times that I want what I want so badly that it scares me.  My hope is that I will make the necessary sacrifices in the short term to achieve what I want in the long term.  What is it that I want? A whole new sense of myself, a new confidence and level of self-esteem.  I want to be able to get out and enjoy life and do the things I want to do.  I am not sure what all that means yet, but I believe that it will become clear to me in time.

My biggest thoughts on commitment have to do with relationships.  For me, and others, as a Christian you make a commitment to Christ and you know He honors that with a commitment of His own to you and He will never leave you.  Some people are afraid of that because it means surrendering your life to Him.  It's not always easy, I'll admit, but it is always worth it even when it doesn't feel that way.  To me that is one of the key aspects of any kind of commitment, you don't base it on feelings.  Our feelings will ebb and flow like tides, they can't always be trusted.

You can say the same things about human relationships as well.  What makes some people so afraid of commiting to a person? There are probably those who are leary of the responsibility, others probably see it as a loss of freedom; particularly the freedom to "date" other people? Maybe some feel it will get boring over time? Well to all those people (and you know who you are) I say you are looking at the whole thing wrongly.  True freedom is found in taking that risk and loving someone unconditionally and letting them love you the same way; the good, the bad and the ugly! To those who wonder if this is possible, remember this is based on choice and not solely on feelings.  You can choose to love someone even if you don't "feel" like it, you can choose to stay even if everything in you wants to run.  You can choose to do every last possible thing to make it work and then try it all again.  People give up too soon! Maybe learning to fall in love over and over again with the same person for a lifetime is the real blessing.  We have to live for things bigger than ourselves or our lives become very small.

0 comments: